Ingredients for Vanilla Whipped Cream
1/4 cup Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, or Manion’s Vanilla Bean Kosher Salt
1.5 cups or 12 ounces Heavy Cream
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract, I recommend Manion’s Vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in bowl of standard mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- Mix on medium- low speed about 1 minute, or until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase speed on mixer to medium-high and whip until cream holds firm peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed and up to 8 hours.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 1 week; before serving you can briefly rewhip the cream to restore its light and silky texture.
My Favorite Ways to Use Freshly Whipped Cream
- On Top of Hot Cocoa or a Special Coffee Drink
- Famous Chocolate Refrigerator Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake
Why Buy Stella’s Book
Stella’s book Bravetart is wonderful. In her recipe for make ahead freshly whipped cream, she encourages her followers to Mix it Up! She offers variations of this recipe for an emerald green version [Basil Whipped Cream] to accompany her strawberry shortcake, a Brown Sugar Version, a Cherry Almond Version, a Cocoa version and others. Her recipes are an exploration of flavor and tradition, fun to read, and will impress your family and friends.
I’ll never forget Nelson. He was a waiter at The Bostonian Hotel’s Season Restaurant. I was a manager at the hotel and one night found myself on duty covering the overnight room service shift. Most of the overnight staff were college students looking to make extra money, and it could happen that we’d have no shows for shifts. When that happened, I had to stay on duty until 8 am the next morning and support our 24-hour room service menu. On that late evening, we got a special dessert order from a honeymoon suite around midnight and I needed help producing some freshly whipped cream fast. Nelson came to my rescue like a night in shining armor; in a few minutes and with no use of a stand mixer, he hand whipped a batch of vanilla scented cream so I could make the delivery on time. There is no substitute for freshly whipped cream in your recipes.
If you’re looking to cut back on sugar, you can easily do so when making whipped cream. You could even rely entirely on the natural sweetness of Manion’s Vanilla and use a pinch of sugar instead of a half cup. In this case it is best to serve the whipped cream right away, as it will not keep long without the sugar. Stella instructs that what makes her whipped cream stable for up to 8 hours is the generous amount of sugar in her recipe.